May 4, 2015

Keeping Busy



Well, after the shock of having to learn that we have to move again, I'm trying to keep positive and keep busy. I have all my Craig's list searches on email alert. I check every hour on the hour for updates and try and proceed with daily chores, because really, what else can one do?!

The process is always the same it seems. Since we have always been renters, I can't remember a time when it wasn't any different.  We have lived through many renting scenarios. College renting, sub-leasing, and living abroad to name a few. All of these scenarios were stressful and tearful at times. Why does it have to be this way I wonder? Why can't it be easy, or why can't the first property you look at be "the one?" I think I'm going to keep up with the process on here, so that later I will have a reference as to what we went through.  So here is update number one.    We found out on a Tuesday April 28th that the landlady would not renew the lease. I was half shocked and upset. Half shocked because like I said in my last post, I had a feeling this was coming since the landlady hadn't sent us an updated lease to sign, and things with her daughter out back have not really gotten any better. She has chosen to make this property a revolving door instead of reigning in her daughter's shenanigans out back. After we find a place and secure everything, stay tuned for the whole story because I really want to tell it. More as a cautionary tale, and nothing more.
Wednesday, I hit Craig's list and lined up a couple of places to look at. The first one was a new build from 2003, so I thought hey this might be nice. When I got inside I was instantly disappointed and it smelled like pets. The carpet was buckling and there was just far too much of it, plus the agent did not list the property with the correct rent. It was 100 dollars more than it said, which was already pushing our budget. The agent was very friendly and as we told him a bit about us. He felt badly for our situation and said we would be at the top of his list if something comes up, because we were the type of tenant that the company loves. Tell that to my landlady! Oh yeah, she was already told this by the property management that was managing this property to begin with, but she chose not care.( She took control of the property  management in December)
Next property I didn't really want to go and see since I google mapped it and it looked a bit sketchy from the picture, but I thought what the heck, we will go check it out.   As we wound our way through a neighborhood, that I didn't even know existed, I was doubtful that this could be good. The person on the phone was pleasant and funny so I was curious. They were asking a pretty penny with a 4,000 dollar deposit for what looked like a house that a serial killer would live in. When she let us in, form the garage, and into the kitchen, I immediately got an overwhelming feeling that something bad happened in this house! We looked at each other and were ready to bolt, but decided to be kind just in case this was some kind of joke and we would be murdered  and never to be heard from again hahaha! On the phone the lady said she runs criminal checks, and asked if that was going to be ok. I should have bowed out at that point, but like I said, I was intrigued and wanted no stone unturned. Anyway, we said thanks we will keep it in mind (NOT!!!!) We peeled out of there fast!!!  Back home I kept checking the CL and hoping another property came up. Two did, so I made appointments for Saturday morning to see them.  First one was a two story newer house that looked cute in the photo. The guy who owned it was super nice but the house wasn't for us. The layout was too cramped and again way too much carpet and not enough room for our key pieces of furniture.  The second property was a two bedroom condo in a nice peaceful neighborhood, and had it been a tiny bit bigger, we would have possibly considered it. All the people we met, except the killer house, we really liked and would have been great landlords. All of them could not believe our story and then wished the best of luck for us.
Today is Monday, and a few have come up, but all far out in our very last on the list areas that we would consider living in. I'm trying this time to not panic and take something that won't work for us, kind of like this house that we are in now. This house had so much potential, and had she possibly had a real tenant out in the cottage, it could have worked. Looking back on this situation with this house I saw the red flag the day I finally got to meet the kid out back, but it was the day we had already signed the lease and committed ourselves to move here. BIG mistake!!!! I'm still dumbfounded that a parent would let their kid dictate something this major in not just our lives but her own ! Oh well, I'm choosing to push this all out of my head and carry on forward to greener pastures, where ever they may be. Stay tuned. I'll do another update on Friday or, if something great comes along!

P.S. The picture I chose above was to convey that I'm hoping for blue skies and good days ahead!


5 comments:

  1. This is all so fascinating. Please keep us posted. I can't wait to hear the back story about the daughter and see how this all turns out. Best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know about fascinating :( More like sad and frustrating to see people like that treat others this way.

      Delete
  2. Hi Elizabeth! I can't wait to hear more about the daughter in the back cottage... I'm sure it's not good though. I hope you are having luck find the perfect, new place. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, don't worry Julia, you will have a fun read once I'm in safety zone. I have some pictures to put up as well.

      Delete